'Tuned4u' Piano Maintenance Scheme
This piano maintenance service is currently only available in the Harrogate and Wetherby areas. It is designed
to provide regular tunings - two or more times a year (the scheme can be tailored to meet individual requirements)
and in addition, to provide breakdown cover. Call-outs are on an appointment only basis. Priority is however
given to Tuned4u clients and call-outs are free of charge.
Payment is made by monthly standing order and the first tuning takes place when six, monthly payments have accrued
(on a six-monthly scheme). The annual cost is the standard tuning charge multiplied
by the number of tunings per year plus a small percentage to cover the extra benefits.
The instalments are guaranteed not to be increased for a minimum of two years. Substantial discounts are available for
multiple pianos at the same address.
The following schedule summarises the main elements of the cover:
What is covered
- Tuning every six months to include an inspection and essential adjustments
- Call-out to urgent problems that cannot wait until the tuning visit
- The labour involved in dealing with minor repairs and adjustments to remedy isolated faults
and problems, the most common of which are listed here:
- Broken string
- Sticking keys
- Pedal faults
- Notes "ringing on"
- Note not repeating or playing properly
- Loose key covering
- Broken hammer shank
- Broken spring, tape or other action part
What is not covered
- Soundboard, bridges, iron frame, tuning pin plank, castors, casework, veneers and the piano finish.
- Legs and pedal lyres (on grand pianos).
- Overhauls, complete or partial - even if such work is recommended.
- Regulating the action and keys.
- Damage caused by unsuitable location, misuse or neglect.
- The cost of any parts supplied.
Back to top
Mike Butterworth is a member of the Pianoforte Tuners' Association and The International Association of Piano Builders and Technicians